Thursday, August 1, 2013

Westmore Beauty routines

Hello,
 
My husband and I are quite prolific book buyers and last week I treated myself to the reprint of the Westmore beauty book " A complete 1950's guide to vintage makeup, hairstyling and beauty techniques".
It is quite an in-depth book outlining how to measure your face, looking at and making the most of your features, skin tone, skin care, exercise, hairstyles and make up application.

Westmore Beauty Book -- A Complete 1950s Guide to Vintage Makeup, Hairstyling and Beauty Techniques by Bud Westmore, http://www.amazon.com/dp/1936049317/ref=cm_sw_r_pi_dp_cQZvrb1WPNVNZ


While some techniques maybe deemed out of date by todays standards; there is still plenty of relevant information that I will be apply to my day to day routine such as the cleansing process and how to " correct" your eye brows
 
The Westmore family were prominent in Hollywood for their make up work in film and for establishing Hollywood's first make up department in 1917. In 1956 they released their beauty book which is now available in reprint.



Perc, Wally and Bud Westmore.
Via

The cleansing process encourages the use of  a cleansing cream, fortunately I already use the Queenie May Cold Cream before bed and in the morning. Its a lovely cream that is thick and leaves my skin feeling hydrated and feeling luscious.

 
 
 
Usually I slather this on and go to bed but the book recommends putting it on, and then putting a warm flannel over top before gently wiping it off with a tissue.
 
The next tip it recommends is to use soap and water to wash your face, my skin is quite dry now after having baby so I will use the Eco store baby soap as its a lot milder. It also outlines to resist the urge to use a face cloth and rinse your face 4 to 5 times!

 
 
Dry with patting motion and apply a skin freshener, not entirely sure what this is, maybe a toner? I use Witch Hazel which I purchase from the Chemist.


 
 Not the prettiest of bottles but it does the job.
 
 
For non oily skin you then apply a night cream, I have good results with Almond oil which I also purchase from the chemist.

 
Freshly cleansed! next eyebrows!
 
I'm going to give this a go for a week and will let you know the results!
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I have had this book on my wishlist for awhile now (I collect vintage beauty, charm and etiquette books) but I think now I will have to get it ASAP!

    Can't wait to hear how the face routine works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would defiantly recommend it, I'm currently training as a make up artist and it is interesting to compare the techniques and how things have evolved.

      Delete