Friday, June 7, 2013

Esther William 1921 - 2013

Esther Williams died today aged 91, Hollywood's famous mermaid came to fame when she went from a teen swimming champion to actress in aquatic musicals, most notably Neptune's Daughter, Bathing Beauty's and Million Dollar Mermaid in the 1940's and 50's.

Esther Williams
 
Via

Ester was married four times with children, losing 10 million of her fortune to a husband Ben Gage, an alcoholic with gambling issues. After leaving the MGM she released a line of swim wear " Esther Williams Cole of California" which is popular with Pin ups, rockabilly's and vintage enthusiasts alike. I know I love my leopard print suit for its ability to hold me all in and its great quality.
 

Cole Swimwear Advertisement
Via

Esther has been attributed as being a positive role model for swimming and her ability to swim underwater much like a ballet dancer, making it look graceful and easy.
Want to know more about Williams? Check out her autobiography " The Million Dollar Mermaid", it is one of my favorite biographys in my collection.



 

1 comment: